10 JEWELS from Brennan Manning
9 June, 2014
Soul Snack 107/14 ...The tortured life of vagabond, a rascal and a Christian ragamuffin slipped into the unseen ether of death on April 12th 2013. Below is a mere drop upon the ocean of Brennan Manning's storm-built and tear-torn legacy:
- Love is the axis of the Christian moral revolution and the only sign by which the disciple is to be recognised.
- Rash judgement is the enemy of tenderness & compassion.
- Peer pressure sets the limits to the boundary of my faith.
- Grace will always be a banana peel for the orthodox foot and a fairy-tale to grown-up sensibility.
- Jesus said blessed are you if you love to be unknown and regarded as nothing.
- The sweet sound of amazing grace saves us from the necessity of self-deception.
- Our hearts of stone become hearts of flesh when we learn where others weep.
- Ritual acts are the undoing of authentic religion.
- The church claims to represent Jesus on earth, but in fact it often supplants Him.
- We have spread so many ashes over the historical Jesus that we scarcely feel the glow of His presence anymore.
Not only was the Teacher wise, but also he imparted knowledge to the people. He pondered and searched out and set in order many proverbs. The Teacher searched to find just the right words, and what he wrote was upright and true. (Ecclesiastes 12:9-10)
Could Brennan's writings in fact be the time when words speak louder than actions?
The heart is beaten by what is poured into it, and it is revealed by what is poured from it.
Today's Soul Snippet:
The best way to receive understanding is to give it.
Love this SoulSnack? - PLEASE take a moment and share it with a friend. Would you like to subscribe for free SoulSnacks either weekly or each workday?