10 Top J.O. Fraser Quotes
20 January, 2019
James Outram Fraser (1886-1938) was a man of sure and deep prayer. He joined Hudson Taylor's China Inland Mission. Fraser pioneered Christian mission in 1910 to the remote Lisu peoples in what was known as China's far west.
As with Hudson Taylor and C.T. Studd he was an accomplished man - gifted as a preacher, linguist, musical genius and engineer.
Fraser ministered in the wild mountainous jungles of west China, humbly tucked far away from any western eyes and therefore honor.
Mr Fraser's success was not the result of his impressive talents or giant intellect. He succeeded where others often fail, because he had learned how to touch God in prayer... prayer was the very breath of life to him, and in prayer he seemed to slip into eternity. (David Smithers)
By the 1930s he longed for revival, evermore strongly burdened was his spirit for the teeming Chinese millions he knew were headed to hell. His original motivation to the mission field had not waned, but multiplied.
His writing and work was first built upon his praying:
- Solid, lasting missionary work is done on our knees.
- An earnest desire in spiritual things is a bell ringing for prayer.
- Just as a plant may die for lack of watering, so may a genuine work of God rot for lack of prayer.
- If the work seems to fail, then pray; if the church services fall flat, then pray still more; if months slip by with little or no result, then pray still more and get others to help you.
- I used to think that prayer should have the first place and teaching the second. I now feel that it would be truer to give prayer the first, second and third place, and teaching the fourth.
- The aim of satanic power is to cut off communication with God. To accomplish this aim he deludes the soul with a sense of defeat, covers him with a thick cloud of darkness, depresses and oppresses the spirit, which in turn hinders prayer and leads to unbelief – thus destroying all power.
- The fact that the enemy comes upon us in force is no proof that we are out of God's will.
- The longer the preparation, the deeper the work.
- When God creates a fresh desire in us, you can always be sure He is ready to move.
- The Cross is going to hurt - let it hurt!
At the tender age of 52 Fraser died in 'his' Yunan province on September 25, 1938 from a malignant cerebral malaria. Are not the righteous taken away to be spared more evil? (See Isaiah 57:1)
We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God. (Acts 14:22b)
A man who made history from prayer.
Today's Soul Snippet:
'Troubles do not dispel a call of God, but rather confirm it.' ~ Michael Cartwright
Love this SoulSnack - PLEASE don't keep it to yourself? Would you like to subscribe for free SoulSnacks either weekly or each workday?