IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL#
2 May, 2019
Job is universally synonymous with suffering, but Horatio Spafford (1828-1888), a Christian lawyer is far less well known. He endured similar trials, and, as with Job bequeathed a legacy that will be retold until Jesus' returns.
The hymn "It Is Well With My Soul" was written by Horatio Spafford. His circumstances were:
- His only son died at age four in 1871.
- In 1872, the great Chicago fire wiped out his vast estate, made from a successful legal career.
- In 1873 he sent his wife and four daughters over to Europe for a summer trip on the ill-fated French steamship Ville du Havre. For work reasons he planned to follow them later. The ship would sink in just twelve minutes after a 2 a.m. (November 22, 1873) collision with a Scottish boat on the Atlantic. He lost his four daughters, his wife being the only survivor. She sent him a famous telegram which simply read, "SAVED ALONE."
- On his return home, his law firm was burned down and the insurance company refused to pay him. They said "It's an Act of God". He had no money to pay for the rebuilding and no work, he also lost his house. ...
- Then while sitting and thinking about what was happening to him, being a spiritual person, he wrote a song - "Whatever, my Lord, You have taught me to say - It is well, it is well with my soul".
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)
My dear friend, a good attitude will determine your altitude. When you look at your life, career, job or family life, what do you say? Do you praise God? Do you blame the devil?
A good attitude towards God encourages Him to move on your behalf. Be blessed and don't be envious or shocked when others are prospering. Remember you don't know what they have been through to get there (tests, trials and tribulation), so thank God for what you have.
Be still and pray:
Today, God, it is well with my soul. I am thankful for all the great and small things in life. I am thankful that I hold your provision in all ways, and there is nothing I desire upon this earth - save You. Above all, I am thankful that I have the Lord Jesus Christ on my side and by my side each day until I meet Him. Amen
"Little is much when God is in it. It Is Well With My Soul!"
Touch someone's life with this message. If God is for us, who can be against us?#
Today's Soul Snippet:
"Though after this life repentance be perpetual, it is in vain." ~ Augustine
Love this SoulSnack? - PLEASE take a moment and share it with a friend. Would you like to subscribe for free SoulSnacks either weekly or each workday?
#Today's SoulSnack has an anonymous source and includes SoulSupply edits.