Making Sense of Suffering - Part D
10 August, 2008
Making Sense of Suffering ... Part D
MY RESPONSES TO SUFFERING ... 10 brief thoughts
There are various axioms in life. One that is helpful says 'that pain and suffering is always finite.' It WILL go!
My response in my distress can directly impact the longevity of my suffering. Fear from the past, can cripple my present and destroy my future. This is why it is so important to act well in times of personal suffering.
My response to another's suffering can also be very detrimental to them.
Job's friends brought him no joy. They criticised him, accused him of sin and his wife even railed against him advising him to curse God (see Job 2:9-10). Job suffered greatly, not only at the hands of satan, but also his friends and relatives.
There is always a path of righteousness to walk on any plain of pain that we are placed. The path of righteousness is usually clear. The path may not be easy, but it will be the only one that leads to the desired destiny. To flee righteousness on a path of suffering is simply to increase my vulnerability to the malevolent work of the evil one. This can then actually increase my suffering.
The impotence, the injustice and the surrounding ignorance to suffering assail all alike.
Finding reason in the unreasonable, depth in the disaster or simply quality to a life 'snatched away' is just so dis-satisfyingly unfathomable.
That which eludes the mind of man, will never elude the mind of God. His infallible word reveals 24 reasons for suffering. Please enjoy this FOURTH and final instalment.
Please note there is no sequencing at all to the order of these reasons. They are in categories for ease of reference and understanding.
BEFORE READING FURTHER PLEASE LEARN THIS VERSE because it is God's desire to never harm anyone. His core is always to care. It is God's eternal desire to repair and not wreck.
"For he (God) does not willingly bring affliction or grief to the children of men." Lamentations 3:33
MY RESPONSE: 10 brief thoughts
- Believe and trust in a Father whose desire is to bring me good .Ps 37:4 , Jn 10:10
- Do not apportion blame to others in their pain. Sadly it is a most easy human exercise to blame another for their suffering with only an unkind heart towards another as evidence. Jn:9:2-3, Ob 1:12
- Look to your own life and God for reasons to your pain. Do not just seek to blame others for your pain - it is just so easy to reap what I have sown and be blind to it. Humbly assess the pain and audit pride.
- Be patient, stand firm! Determine with His strength to never give up on Jesus/life. Patience in suffering is the path that God may use to free us from sin. 1 Peter 4:1, Job 6:8-10, Phil 4:13, James 5:7
- Never flee pain or fight/accuse God. See God alone as THE place of refuge and the seat of trust. Ps 91:1, Is 2:22, Prov 30:5, Hebs 13:5 & 6
- Yield to God … it is His invitation. Do not resist Him or leave, rather trust Him. Give over all burdens to Him, Mt 11:28-30. Harness self to Christ. (see Soul Snack 8/126) Repent of sin and remove any authority satan may have to hurt you. Eph 4:27
- Always approach God with a grateful heart.This brings a protection and peace that is literally 'out of this world.'Phil 4:4-7
- Feel, do not flee. Do not leave the path of righteousness. It is far healthier to walk through pain with Jesus help than flee pain without Him. Refuse to allow suffering to lead you to sin. Ps 4:4, Eph 4:26
- The time of goodness that I am yet to understand must be received by faith. It WILL be shown to me. I WILL participate in it. Jer 29:11 Even in pain God has very good intentions (Rms 8:28) for me and seasons of pain will end. It may help to see pain as a very finite season. In every darkness the Son will rise.
- 'Your greatest ministry will come out of your deepest hurt' . You will then know the words of comfort, you will have an instructed tongue to sustain others who too are weary. Is 50:4
Never doubt in darkness what God has shown you in the light. (Neil Anderson)
God's plan is to protect us by keeping us in His presence. Being in Jesus' presence really is the battle of life and the battle for life! Ps 91
“I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak…' Ez 34:16a
Please REMEMBER that ... 'He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.' 1 John 4:4