23 Biblical Reasons to Remain Silent#
sin is not far away when the words are many.
The fool who speaks out straps a rod to his back, but the same fool appears wise should he keep his mouth closed.
Those who guard their lips preserve their lives, but those who speak rashly will come to ruin. (Proverbs 13:3)
Choose for silence:
- When you haven’t verified the story. Deuteronomy 17:6
- When you are tempted to tell an outright lie. Proverbs 4:24
- When you would be ashamed of your words later. Proverbs 8:8
- When the words have become many. Proverbs 10:19
- When tempted to deride your neighbor. Proverbs 11:12
- To overlook an insult. Proverbs 12:16
- When the words are likely to injure. Proverbs 12:18
- To exercise prudence. Proverbs 12:23
- When it is time to listen. Proverbs 13:1
- In the heat of anger. Proverbs 14:17
- When work is the higher priority. Proverbs 14:23
- When tempted to mock the poor. Proverbs 17:5
- When you don’t have all the facts Proverbs 18:13
- When you are tempted to flatter a wicked person. Proverbs 24:24
- When tempted to boast about tomorrow. Proverbs 27:1
- When approaching the Lord. Ecclesiastes 5:1-2
- When you are tempted to make light of holy things. Ecclesiastes 5:2
- When not to multiply words as a fool does. Ecclesiastes 5:3 &10:13
- When the days are evil. Amos 5:13
- If your words will offend a weaker brother. 1 Corinthians 8:11
- When you are feeling critical. James 3:9
- When tempted to return insult. 1 Peter 2:21-23
- When tempted to condemn or accuse (even if the accusation is legitimate). Jude 9#
Shamefacedly I confess my dear old dad would too oft struggle with his incorrigible son repeating:
if you haven't got something nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all.
Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity. (Proverbs 21:23)
Today's Soul Snippet:
'God does not comfort us to make us comfortable, but to make us comforters'. ~ J.H. Jowett
Love this SoulSnack - PLEASE don't keep it to yourself? Would you like to subscribe for free SoulSnacks either weekly or each workday?
#This list began with a list sourced from here. It is added to and edited by SoulSupply. Note - SoulSupply has edited these from the NIV edition of the Bible.