Stirring 9 Reformed Sensibilities
Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity (Hebrews 7:1a)
For those Christians inclined to solitude, who question and reflect...
For those disciples seeking to be nourished by the Lord's mature things, that solid food of faith...
For those no longer babes who have now become familiar with the teaching about righteousness...
For those believers who hunger for a relationship with the Lord beyond any Sunday pulpit...
It is for these the pot of reformed Christianity is stirred:
- The garment of sackcloth and ashes, not the garment of knowledge and abilities always precedes the mantle of righteousness.
- Duty at church contributes precious little to devotion of the soul.
Devotion to doctrine has replaced the doctrine of devotion.
- Theology is like statistics - it can be tortured to confess to anything.
- Theology has become the arbiter of truth when it cannot be the guarantor of truth.
The volume of knowledge does not in any measure equate to the depth of faith. (See James 2:5)
- The place for theology is not the place it holds now – it is a servant and not a regent.
- Reformation in worship without reformation of the heart is no reformation at all.
- Jesus rose and replaced 'ceremony' with 'celebration', 'ritual' with 'relationship' and 'theology' with 'truth'.
Call to Me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. (Jeremiah 33:3)
The first call of the church is to worship not work, the second call of the church is edification precedes education. When this order is correct the church has joined hands with righteous reform.
Today's Soul Snippet:
"The nearer a man draws to God, the more he sees his own sinfulness". ~ James Hannay
Also in this series ~ Unsettling Proposals for the Christian Church, Why the Sheep Flee, and When Church Hurts
ENJOY too Theological Twilight ~ B
Did you find this SoulSnack helpful? Would you like to subscribe or forward it to a friend?