The Mastery of the Heart
Nine new proverbs upon mastery of the heart:
- Speak to a man's heart and he will love you, speak to a man's head and pour in pride.
- Knowledge within the humble heart is not spoken of, but remains evident to all.
- No man can speak that he understands love unless his life is bathed in its reflection.
- No man can claim he is virtuous, for virtue is lived silently - it is not loud.
- No man can wander earth long with his chest held out, for his heart is shrivelled and he will soon be seen to fall.
- No man can embark upon a noble and ambitious endeavor to see it through, if his heart first does not flee acclaim.
- No man should draw his sword regardless of his skill unless his heart is stronger than his opponent's.
- The showering of gifts is meaningless if the heart seeks to impress, or is hollow in love.
- Understand the way of the heart, for from its purity honor is gained across time.
There is no pocket hidden within a man's heart the Lord cannot be trusted with.
I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind... (Jeremiah 17:10a)
Temptations and struggles will remain to the end of our lives, but with a pure heart we will be restful even in the midst of our restless existence. ~ Henri Nouwen.
Today's Soul Snippet:
'Hope is never ill when faith is well'. ~ John Bunyan
Love this SoulSnack - PLEASE don't keep it to yourself? Would you like to subscribe for free SoulSnacks either weekly or each workday?