Under New Management
Aiden Wilson Tozer was a larger than life twentieth century prophet, who wore the mantle and knew the sackcloth and ashes. Since his conversion in 1914 he led a life that could be aptly titled - under new management.
Tozer died in 1963 bequeathing a spiritual legacy to be read until the Lord's return. His knee-borne devotions yielded endless fruit. He wrote:
- Determine to take your faith in dead earnest. Christianity is not a playground, it is a battleground; a warzone to reclaim from satan all that he claims of you. We wear salvation as a kind of convention badge admitting us to the circle of the elect... Tozer
- Throw yourself recklessly upon God. Be as vigorous in the surrender as was Elisha when he burnt his ploughing equipment when called by Elijah. This is the release of ambitions, plans and even possessions. (See full story in 1 Kings 19:19-21) It is the choosing first of profit for the Kingdom.
- Take a solemn vow never to claim any honor, glory or praise. Mimic John the Baptist, He must increase and I must decrease. (John 3:30)
- Determine to not defend yourself against detractors and persecutors. Put your reputation in God's hands and leave it there. Bless those who oppose you. Live for the audience of one. Permit your enemy to win, for a loss upon earth is a victory in heaven.
- Mortify the flesh with its affections and lusts. Real death to self is a painful thing and tends to reduce a man in his own eyes and humble him to dust. ~ Tozer
And bravely a SoulSupply addendum:
Fetch your own sweet manna each morning at sunrise. Don't survive in the Christian faith upon another's devotions alone. Refuse to live a second hand devotional life on what are third party devotions to you, no matter how healthy they may well be. God has your devotional manna prepared and cooked with the finest ingredients for you, not for someone else. Your manna is made for your diet alone. It suits only your spiritual metabolism. It is gathered each morning around sunrise.
REMEMBER, the Christian's life is to read like an old motel's freshly painted roadside sign - UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT.
And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again... Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: the old has gone, the new is here! (2 Corinthians 5:15/17)
Today's Soul Snippet:
"The world confronts Christ but celebrates satan." ~ Michael Cartwright
Love this SoulSnack - PLEASE don't keep it to yourself? Would you like to subscribe for free SoulSnacks either weekly or each workday?